Thursday 22 August 2013

Senga Bay and Cape Maclear

My weekend travel schedule continues to be jam packed, I’m really trying to see as much of Malawi during my year as possible. For the last two weekends I’ve been to the lake which has been great R+R after my harrowing dentist appointment of the week before!

Senga bay is a peaceful cove with only a couple of tourist lodges and a thriving local fishing village. We stayed in a place called coolrunnings which is a great little backpacker lodge that puts something like 45% of its profits into local community projects.

Coolrunnings

Senga Bay Fishermen


The lake itself is crystal clear and stays shallow for a good fifty metres out. It was my first time swimming in a freshwater lake and I must say it’s heaps better than the ocean in a number of ways. Because it’s not salty you don’t feel grotty when you get out and because it’s a contained body of water it’s much warmer than the sea and much calmer.




The second weekend a slightly larger group of us went to Cape Maclear. The cove is similar to that in Senga but Cape Maclear is a little more touristy (as much as Malawi ever is) and has a few more lodges, some of which have late night discos.


The Lake Isn't Just for Fun


We hired a boat for the morning and went snorkelling around a small island just off the shore which was great, we saw lots of freshwater tropical fish and the visibility was excellent.



I can certainly see myself going to the lake as often as possible while I’m here, it’s a beautiful and relaxing place to spend a few days


Full pictures available here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHEZTwh 

No comments:

Post a Comment