Tuesday 6 August 2013

An Average Day

Apologies that it’s been a while, it’s been a quiet few weeks here in Lilongwe; getting into the rhythm of work out here and enjoying a simple African lifestyle.  I thought I’d take the opportunity to share with you what constitutes an average day here in Lilongwe and a couple of side projects I have on the boil at the moment.

If the wind is blowing in the right direction then my day begins at 5 when I’m woken up by the call to prayer from the local mosque, otherwise my alarm goes off at 6. I get up and put my immersion heater on; T-1 hour till hot water.  While I’m waiting for the hot water I rinse off some clothes that I’ve had soaking in a bucket overnight and hang them outside on the line to dry. Then it’s time for some fresh Mzuzu coffee, the previous volunteer who had my house left a stove top espresso peculator which has quickly become one of my most prized possessions. I put it on my standard VSO-issue two ring electric stove and fire it up. Breakfast is either cornflakes or some homemade bread with honey from the Livingstonia orphanage.

Bread and baking in general is one of my side projects. VSO don’t issue volunteers with an oven but I was able to buy a very small one that resembles a microwave from a South African superstore for £80. The oven is very slow and doesn't get terribly hot but when baking bread this is made up for by the speed at which proofing happens; thanks to the African heat typically 40 mins compared to 2 hours in the UK

Breakfast done I make some sandwiches for the day. Shopping for food in Malawi can be a little hit and miss, one week you’ll go and there’ll be lots of chicken, the next week there might not be any chicken at all so you have to improvise with what’s available at the time, recently my local supermarket has had back bacon in (a pretty rare commodity out here) so I’ve been enjoying bacon and tomato sandwiches for lunch of late.

Finally time for that shower! I’m actually really lucky to have hot running water, even if I do have to wait a while for it. Many volunteers aren't so fortunate and very few locals have such luxuries.

It’s now 7:30 and time to head to the office. There are two local “bus” routes I can take to work, both of which involve about a 20min walk and a 20min ride. The local buses are quite an experience; they are privately owned mini-buses that should seat 10 but somehow manage to squeeze in 16. There are typically two guys running them, one drives while his friend acts as a conductor/marketing guy, both taking money from passengers and advertising the service by shouting the buses destination out of the window at anyone they pass.

All the mini-buses start off in old town which is really the centre of Lilongwe and then go out along various routes, terminating in a particular numbered area which is how Lilongwe is divided. The buses I can get are the 12 and the 18 known as such because they terminate in areas 12 and 18 respectively. Most buses are 150KW (about 30p) for a single journey regardless of where you get on or off, some will try and charge you more (especially if you’re white) but they usually climb down when they realise you know what you’re talking about.

On the bus itself it’s very cramped and smells pretty horrendous. Local sellers use the buses to get to market and bring their goods with them which can include fish or live poultry. Most Malawians also can’t afford deodorant or even soap which doesn't help matters on the odour front.

Although I quoted 20mins before the journey can actually take much longer if business is slow. If the conductor on the mini-bus doesn't feel he’s got enough passengers he’ll simply pull over and wait until some more appear, if business is really slow and another bus comes along you may even be ‘sold on’ to the other bus and have to swap.

I normally get into the office for 8am. I’ll actually skip the rest of my day at work as I’ve already blogged about the office but I promise to give you all an update on the project progress as a separate post soon.

I normally leave the office at around 4pm and make my perilous return journey on the mini-bus back to area 6. I’ll often call at my local supermarket Chipiku on my way home for supplies. As I mentioned before, shopping for groceries can be fairly hit and miss at times but the Chipiku near me is large and generally has a good variety of things in stock, not least of all some very nice South African reds which I try and limit my consumption of to a couple a week

Once home I’ll get the washing in off the line and iron everything  to kill any Tumbu fly eggs. I won’t go into any detail about these guys here but for those of you who want to know more the full horror can be read about here;


Next it’s housework time, I generally try to sweep everyday and mop as often as I can. It’s a fairly futile task as the ever present red dust of Lilongwe re-settles almost instantly as you finish but at least you can feel clean for a little while.

Night falls at 6pm sharp pretty much year round and after that it’s not really safe to be outside in Lilongwe unless you’re in a vehicle. As such after dinner the evenings can drag a bit, if there is no social event happening that I can get to then a movie on my laptop is usually the only entertainment there is.

Unless I’m out then bedtime is normally around 9pm – unheard of in the UK but you feel very fresh in the mornings :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment