Saturday 1 June 2013

Pre-flight Checks

Well the day has come at last. After over a year of planning I leave the UK today almost as unprepared as when I first applied to VSO. Sure I’ve done plenty of shopping and think I should have most things I need in Malawi but it feels like it’s largely impossible to either imagine what my new life will be like or to think of everything that I should have tied up back home. As I write this in the car on my way to the airport my mind is racing with lots of really dumb little things that feel unfinished; things like have I remembered to cancel all my direct debits? has Molly got all the info she needs to proceed with the sale of our house?  Have I changed the address of all my bank accounts? The reality is that there probably is a lot of stuff I forgot and most of it probably doesn’t much matter, I’m actually really looking forward to getting on the plane simply for the relief of not being able to do anything about any of it anymore.

Aside from worrying about things I can’t control the last couple of weeks have been great. Ron and I went on a weeks holiday around Scotland which ended in Edinburgh for the marathon festival. It was really great to see some of you there for the last time, we all had a lot of fun, pics available here:


Yesterday my family threw a goodbye dinner for me which was awesome. Ron surprised me by coming up from London and they had all made banners and posters for the house which was really sweet (Pics to follow.) Ate my own body weight in roast lamb so that should hopefully keep me going for a few days in Africa J


Not sure when I’ll first be able to get online in Malawi but rest assured I’ll be posting again as soon as I can. Hope you’re all well and enjoying the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment