Friday 14 June 2013

In Country Training

Hello from Malawi, Muli Banji! Apologies it’s taken a while to write this first post but it’s been pretty non-stop since I arrived and internet is sketchy to say the least.

I finally arrived at around midday on Sunday 2nd after almost 24 hours of planes and airports. There were 9 of us arriving on the UK flight, the rest of which I’d managed to track down during a stop in Nairobi. It felt good to be part of a group who were all new and finding our feet together, we all got along really well and I’m hoping that we’ll stay in touch and be a support for each other throughout the year.  Aside from myself the rest of our intake are nurses so I’m guessing I’ll be ok for medical advice!

Our first week was spent in a local guesthouse getting training on Malawian culture, language and VSO’s objectives. We were also given some orientation in town and got to meet the management team behind our various projects.

Riverside Hotel



Lunch at Riverside
During the week I got chance to have lunch with the rest of the volunteers from my project (iHRIS.) It turns out that the project isn’t as advanced as people had originally hoped and so my job description is going to be somewhat different from what was planned. Originally I was supposed to be based in Zomba, a small town in the south of the country where I would be deploying iHRIS and training users. Unfortunately iHRIS is nowhere near ready for rollout yet and much of the system still needs to be written, as a result I’ll be based in Lilongwe (the capital) for the foreseeable future, helping to build out the system itself. For those of you interested in the technical detail of the project I’ll post a separate article shortly.






By the end of the week I think we were all chomping at the bit to get going and move into our project housing. Although the training had been very useful it had been a long week cooped up in the hotel with little opportunity to get out and explore Malawi. On the last night the VSO staff took us out for pizza, expensive by Malawian standards but a comforting taste of something familiar.

The next day (Saturday 8th) we were all picked up by our respective employers, in my case the ministry of health and driven to our new homes…

All packed ready for moving


New volunteers class photo



Full pictures from in country training here:


And, as promised, the fairly embarrassing pictures from my leaving party in Leek here:




No comments:

Post a Comment